It looks like I’m going a bit mustard crazy at the moment, but I was in Lidl today and a cheap jar of wholegrain mustard was begging to be bought. I also got some new things to review and thought it would be best to try one of the items with my mustard. So here we are…
Chick’n in a Mustard Sauce
- 3 shallots, finely chopped (or a small onion if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 cups of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup of chick’n pieces, chopped (I used realeat chicken style pieces)
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp soya butter
- Splash of oil
- 4tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 tbsp tofutti sour creme
- 1/2 cup chick’n stock (or vegetable)
- 1/2 tbsp agave nectar
- Salt and Pepper (I use lots of pepper)
- Melt together the butter and oil in a large pan. When hot enough, add the shallots and fry until soft and golden
- Add the mushrooms and fry until soft before adding the garlic and frying for 2 minutes
- Add the mustard, sour creme, stock, agave and chick’n pieces. Stir and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve on a bed of rice (or whatever you prefer).
The Realeat chick’n only had to be heated through before eating, make sure you check the instructions on the chick’n you use! I definitely recommend using these chick’n pieces in this kind of cooking as they were pretty good. They gave the dish a nice texture that you don’t really get with vegetables, reminded me of a dish my mum used to make. Not tried them without saucey stuff though, so will update when I do.