I had a sweet potato gnocchi at a restaurant I went to this week and there was something different in it that I just couldn’t work out. I decided it must have been curry powder and decided to recreate it and make it a little bit better 😛 It turned out delicious…and I gave myself a far larger portion than the restaurant did!
Curried Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- plain flour (shouldn’t be more than 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp soya butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 handful of green beans, chopped
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat the oven to 180C and roast the sweet potatoes until soft. For me this took around an hour.
- Take the potatoes from the oven and carefully, as they will be super hot, peel the skin off. Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl and mash.
- Add the soya butter, curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper and mix until it is a smooth paste.
- Add a little bit of flour between mixes until you have a nice dough.
- Flour your hands and the table before grabbing pieces of the dough and rolling it into small balls. The smaller the better.
- When you have rolled the dough, bring a large pan of water to the boil. When boiling, add the gnocchi and boil for a few minutes, until the balls float.
- Drain the gnocchi and set to one side.
- While the gnocchi is cooling, slice the onion, chop the beans and mince some garlic. Then, slice the gnocchi balls in half.
- Heat the oil and cumin seeds in a frying pan. Add the garlic and onion and fry until soft before adding the green beans and gnocchi (also add more curry powder if you think the dish needs it). Fry for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and fry until wilted.
This came out really good, especially as it was the first time I had ever made my own gnocchi. It took much longer than I thought it would, but was worth the effort as it was so delicious. Would probably be nice with a coconutty sauce but I decided to keep it simple and just have it with veggies.