I’m quite a bad vegan when it comes to the omega 3 department. Flax oil is rank, I’m too lazy to do breakfast (which is a great opportunity to sprinkle flax meal on whatever you’re having) and I freakin’ hate walnuts. Or so I thought. So if you’re like me this is a great recipe to get them into your diet…and you can’t even taste them, promise!
…yes I am aware I can’t eat this pesto every day but it’s a start 😀
I got this recipe from La Dolce Vegan but added something of my own for extra flavour. It’s an awesome pesto without any of my audjustments but I had some of this leftover that wasn’t enough for the amount of pasta I cooked. Give it a go anyway, it’s extremely quick.
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup roasted red peppers (I used the jarred kind)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- wee bit of salt and pepper
- 1 small jar of salsa (optional but awesome)
- Put the walnuts, red peppers, garlic, basil and parsley in a food processor and blitz until a paste is formed.
- Slowly add the olive oil between blitzes.
- Add the salsa and blitz until mixed.
- Add to cooked pasta.
To make mine extra filling I cooked some Linda McCartney Sausages and chopped them up. I also fried some mushrooms with a wee bit of garlic, some jalapeno, coriander and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Worked really nicely.