I apologise for the crudeness but the name Toad in the Hole sounds very unvegan to me, I’m feeling very unimaginative and the sausages do kind of look like turds, so I think Turd in the Hole is a winner.
I always avoided this dish both before and after going vegan because batter and sausage sounds so bland and unhealthy to me, I like to have at least some kind of vegetable with my meal. Why I only recently discovered I could add veggies to this, I don’t know. It tastes so much nicer this way and instead of being bland and unhealthy, it’s just delicious and unhealthy. Win!
This recipe makes a huge tray of the stuff so cut it down if you don’t want enough to feed about 6 people. I like to make twice as much as I need so I can clog my arteries for longer.
Turd in the Hole
For the batter:
- 150g soya marg
- 400ml soya milk
- 300ml water
- 450g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil
For the filling:
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn/1 cup frozen sweetcorn
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 handful or so of mushrooms sliced
- 6 sausages (I make mine from suma sausage mix, but ready made ones would work just fine)
You can use different veggies, this is just my usual combination and it works really well.
- Put the flour, soy milk, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Melt the marg in a small pan and ad to the mix. Give it a good stir until there are no lumps.
- Set aside for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Pour a good few tbsp worth of oil into a large roasting tin. I like to make sure I coat the whole of the tin and heat in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Get it out and immediately pour the batter into the hot oil so that it starts to cook straight away. Scatter the veggies over the mix and place the sausages on top as well.
- Put back in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until crisp.
I can’t explain to you how awesome this recipe is, it’s a great comfort meal after a really bad day at work. I’ve already been plotting with my housemate to create a sweet, chocolatey version of this, will report back if it goes well.