I love fruit. Fruit is always a treat for me, I can’t often afford my favourites (raspberries, strawberries, melon, pineapple), so I tend to panic a bit when I buy it. It’s a bit weird really, but I’ll suddenly decide to go healthy and buy a load of fruit and then it’s almost like I get scared to eat it. It tends to stay in the fruit bowl until it rots and then I’m mocked for growing new ‘furry friends’ by my housemate. So these days, unless I’m really hankering for strawberries and dig straight in, I stick to bananas. They’re cheaper and they last longer.
I still leave half of them to go black but now I’ve come up with the perfect solution. Banana Bread. I need more banana bread in my life, and so do you.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup soya butter
- 1/2 cup demerera sugar
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 180C and grease a loaf dish with a bit of oil or soya butter
- In a small jug pour in the soya milk and the vinegar and set aside to curdle
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a smaller bowl cream together the sugars and the soya butter (make sure the spread is nice and soft before you try to cream it)
- Add the bananas to the creamed butter and mash into the mix. Stir in the vanilla and soy milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until there are no lumps.
- Fold in the chocolate chips before popping the loaf into the oven for 45-60 minutes.