It’s about time this blog saw something a little more…savoury. Scrolling through my latest entries, you must all think I live on sugar. But I promise I have actually had dinner before tucking into the desserts.
I decided to try out a few of the recipes from a new cookbook I got for my birthday, Veggiestan. I’ve been whining about how much I’ve needed this book ever since I spotted it hanging around the veggie section in my local Waterstones.
I chose a dish that contains one of my favourite vegetables. Aubergine. It’s just wonderful. There’s nothing more delicious than soft, oily aubergines. Not exactly the healthiest way of eating them, but something magical happens when you fry them up in lots and lots of oil and bung them in a delicious sauce. And that’s exactly what I did!
Aubergines with Garlic, Mint Yoghurt
- 3 large aubergines
- vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 small thin green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 bunch of coriander, chopped
- 2 cups of soya yoghurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- handful of fresh mint, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Slice the aubergines, sprinkle them with salt and leave them for 30 minutes.
- Whilst the aubergines are chilling out, head a little oil in a large wok/frying pan and fry the chilli and onions until the onions are soft, remove from the pan and set to one side.
- When the aubergines are ready, rinse, pat dry and heat some more oil in your pan. Fry the slices of aubergine until they’re brown and soft on each side. This may mean frying off one batch of aubergine before you have enough room to do the other.
- Add the turmeric, tomatoes, coriander, the cooked onion and chilli mix and finally a little water. Just enough to cover the aubergines. Pop a lid on top and leave to simmer for a good 30 minutes or so.
- While you’re waiting, stir together all the ingredients for the yoghurt and pop in a bowl/container in the fridge to keep cool.
- When the aubergines are ready and most of the liquid has been absorbed, you’re ready to assemble! Pour half of your yoghurt mix onto a plate, spoon on some aubergine and continue to layer it up. Garnish with an extra sprinkling of coriander and the dish is ready to be consumed!