This is actually the first thing I made for Vegan Mofo, but I was unable to sample these tasty delights until last night. Pickling is another first for me. Getting it all together was simple…waiting to get the finished product into my mouth however, proved a little more difficult.
I think I’ve been converted to pickling now. I want to pickle everything and anything. But first, let’s just start with courgettes.
- 500g courgettes
- 3 shallots
- 2 tbsp salt
- 500ml cider vinegar
- 120g sugar
- 3 tsp crushed mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Slice your courgettes really finely. There’s probably some contraption out there that makes this super easy, but I just went at it with a knife as best as I could
- Next, slice the shallots finely and pop them with the courgettes into a large bowl.
- Cover with really cold water and then sprinkle the salt on top, giving it a good stir before leaving it for an hour.
- Once the courgettes are done, drain them and pat them dry with either paper towels or tea towels
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds and turmeric in a large pan and bring to the boil. Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes or so and then set aside to cool. You might want to open your windows for this, unless you enjoy the burning vinegar fumes tickling the back of your throat.
- When the mixture is cool, add the courgettes and shallots and then transfer it all into sterilised jars.
- Leave the jars in the fridge for at least 2 days before serving.