I love spinach. It’s one of those great vegetables that can pretty much go in anything. Curries, stews, smoothies, salads. If you ever wanna sneak any extra greens into a dish, spinach is the vegetable for you. But, this is kind of the problem I have with spinach, I only ever add it as an afterthought to a dish. I can’t remember a time where I’ve used spinach as the ‘main’ ingredient of a dish, which is why I came up with these little beauties…
Cheezy Spinach and Pine Nut Patties
- 200g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100g spinach
- 100g strong vegan cheese, grated. (I used Vegusto Piquant, but the Redwoods Parmesan would work really well here too)
- Heat the oven to 180C, pop the pine nuts on a baking tray and toast for 2-3 minutes
- Put everything into a food processor and blitz until you have a coarse mixture. If you’re like me and you have one of those ridiculous ‘delia cheat’ mini food processors (they always seem like a great idea at the time..) then you can always blitz everything up in batches and then hand mix it all together.
- Form the mixture into 6 neat little patties, pop onto a baking tray and cook through for 20-25 minutes.
Serves 3 (or two very hungry vegans)
These patties were really great. A little earthy from the spinach but with enough flavour from the pine nuts and cheese coming through to give them a little something else. I topped mine with some of my lovely pickled courgettes, which made them even better. The patties weren’t exactly dry, but I think having something tangy on top complimented them really well. I’d definitely top with pickle, chutney or some kind of yoghurt based sauce if I were to make them again.
We served ours with with roasted butternut squash and a tomato-bean concoction thing I whipped up with all the leftovers from our fridge. Would also be great with mash, couscous, or inside toasted pitta breads.