I fell in love with beetroot all over again when I made my Beetroot Tzatziki last night, so I thought I’d cook with it again tonight. And boy, am I glad I did.
I’ve seen some great looking beet burger recipes kicking about on the internet, so I put together a recipe of my own, based on what I thought sounded good and also what I happened to have in my cupboards. Here it is
- 1.5 cups of beetroot, grated
- 1.5 cups of cooked rice
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- Either mix everything up by hand or whizz it together in a food processor
- Put the mixture into the fridge for 30 minutes
- Form mix into burgers, either by hand, with a cookie cutter as a mould or with a fancy burger shaper contraption.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers on each side until they look as golden as beetroot can get.
- Serve in burger buns, or warm toasted pitta. Top with beetroot tzatziki, pickles or vegan cheeze.