I would like to spontaneously create a mini sub theme within my Mofo. Do not fear, I’m not straying away from my Bizarre and Outdated Cookbook fun but I would like to announce that Saturdays on Hasta La Vegan during Mofo 2014 are now named CATURDAY!
Where the hell has this come from? Well, there are a few things that I believe have contributed to this moment of madness…
- I’m currently waiting for a spectacularly weird cat themed cookbook to arrive (that should already be here…) and I have been overexcited since I ordered it weeks ago.
- You probably haven’t picked up on this, as I am a master of deception and I hate being a drag but the last few days have been bad. Not going into details but I’m feeling a little fragile and overwhelmed, which often leads to me making rash decisions.
- I bloody love our adopted cat, Aidah. She’s one of my best friends and my life is so much better now that she’s a part of it. She’s been particularly affectionate and adorable over the last few days, which is the best therapy I could ask for. So I figure dedicating a few Saturday’s in her honour and changing Mofo plans is the least I can do.
- I can’t sleep. I’ve binged on sugary ice cream and I’m itching to have some kind of distraction.
- Cats are just awesome. Ok?
I frantically flicked through. Page after page. I flicked through breakfast ideas, snacks, lunches, pasta dishes and finally I got to desserts and I found a winner.
Applesauce Spice Bars
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Grease a baking pan and heat the oven to 180C
- Mix all the ingredients together in one bowl.
- Pour the mix into the pan and bake for 25 minutes
These were so easy to make I even had time to clean up after all the mess I made. I was worried the shortening hadn’t been stirred in properly but it doesn’t seem to matter. I love that I could just chuck all this stuff in a bowl, mix it together, tip it in a pan and then shove it in the oven. I just had one for breakfast and they’re pretty tasty too. The spread works really well with them.
- She’s been through some traumatic stuff but she’s still incredibly trusting, caring, friendly and affectionate.
- She knows what she wants and she’s got no problem telling you about it, loudly, in the middle of the night. I love her for it, no matter what time of day.
- She loves getting under the duvet at night for cuddles, especially during the colder weather. It’s so effing cute I think my heart might explode one day.
Happy CATURDAY everyone!
Haven’t had much time to comment and check out blogs but I came across these amazing Black Forest Gateau Breakfast Rolls over at Tea & Sympatico