I started Mofo with one of my favourite outdated cookbooks, Cooking with Colmans where I recreated the Ham and Mustard Moulds. I had to come back to this book, especially as those Ham and Mustard Moulds have been one of my most popular posts throughout Mofo.
There was a lot to choose from in this book. Who knew you could add mustard to so many things? I decided to choose a recipe that would push my boundaries a bit (because clearly I’ve not been doing enough of that recently…) so it may seem fairly ‘normal’ to some of you, but to me was a challenge. I went for the Bacon and Apricot Casserole. I hate fruit in savoury things. Honestly the worst thing you can put in front of me is couscous with raisins in it. Jesus, why would you do that? But anyway, let’s give those apricots a chance, eh?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Fry’s slicing sausage, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- sprinkling of mixed herbs
- 100g dried apricots, sliced.
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and sausage for about 5 minutes until browned.
- Stir in the flour and stock, stirring until thickened.
- Add the mustard, mixed herbs and apricots. Transfer to a casserole dish and cook for 30-45 minutes
Speaking of challenging myself, I had to stop myself from trying to jump through my computer screen when I saw these Cloud 9 Pancakes over at Vegan Heritage Press and these uhhmazing Meatballs with Gravy by Tofu Mom