I couldn’t go through Mofo without returning to Tofu Goes West. My last effort from the book, Tofu Waffles was a success, but I wanted to pointlessly put tofu in something else before Mofo was up. Obviously I had a lot of recipes to choose from, as they all seem to include tofu for absolutely no reason at all. I decided to go with the Tofu Pan Pizza because I couldn’t bear to think of a Mofo theme that didn’t find a way to get one of my favourite foods in there.
- 450g tofu
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxmeal with 6 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Tomato sauce (homemade or from a jar, whatever is easiest. I just fried some garlic, added tinned tomatoes a little maple syrup and stock and cooked it down)
- Peppers, mushrooms, onion, whatever toppings you want
- Mix the tofu, flax egg, oil and salt in a food processor
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the flour and baking powder, stir until a dough is formed.
- Spread the dough on an oiled pizza pan, pie dish etc.
- Spoon on your pizza sauce. Place your toppings onto the base. Finish off with some vegan cheese and then bake in a 180 degree oven for 30 minutes
This pizza was great, maybe not because tofu was included but because anything tastes great when you slap pizza sauce on top of it, with faux meats and cheeses. It was more like a pizza pie though, which I liked. I guess it’s a good option if you can’t be bothered making a proper pizza base, it was really easy to put it together, but I can’t see this being a regular for me. It was great to have a meal I really enjoyed, yay for pizza!