A while back, my good friend Jenny over at Spice Box of Earth invited me over for dinner and films. Dinner is always amazing at Jenny’s but that night I had a Mac n Cheese that blew my mind. It was based on the Butternut Alfredo recipe from PPK and it was awesome. I’ve made it a few time since as a lower fat alternative to the usual oil laden New Farm favourite of mine.
I decided to make it tonight but realised I was missing a few key ingredients, one of them being cashew nuts. I decided to go ahead and make something similar anyway and I was super happy with the results. So here’s a simpler butternut sauce recipe for you, it’s not as cheesy as the Alfredo one so I daren’t call it Mac n Cheese, but it does have a nice tang to it and will be something I make again and again.
- 200g dried pasta
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 vine tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 4 cloves garlic
- a little olive oil
- 1.5 cups soya milk
- a few tsps boullion powder
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp miso
- pinch of salt
- First get the garlic cloves, squash and a wee bit of olive oil roasting in the oven for 40 minutes or so.
- Put the pasta on to boil. Halfway through, add the broccoli
- While the pasta is cooking put the squash and garlic into a blender. Add the soy milk, boullion, nutritional yeast, miso and salt. Blitz until smooth.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and stir in the sauce.
- Pour into an oven dish, top with sliced tomatoes and bake for 20 minutes or so.