Tell us about a weird food combo you love
It might sound disgusting, but I really like eating peanut butter, pickles and vegan cheese together. I first had it as a burger topping, but now thanks to Vegan Mofo, I’ve created something even better. The ultimate waffle! Trust me, this tastes great!
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups non dairy milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 block vegan cheese
- Preheat the waffle iron. Start off by stirring together the peanut butter, sugar and oil until smooth.
- In a jug, whisk together the cornflour and milk. Add to the peanut mixture.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the mix and stir until combined.
- Slice 4-5 gherkins and cut a small handful of vegan cheese into chunks. Stir into the waffle mix.
- Use 1/3 cup measurement to scoop the mixture into the iron. Cook according to your machines directions
- When done, top a waffle with thin slices of cheese and put under the grill until melted. Put a few sliced gherkins on top, top with a waffle and more gherkins and serve. I made drizzled a mixture of maple syrup and pickle juice over the top of mine and it was GREAT. I swear!
Makes 6 waffles
Apologies for the poor quality photos, they’re not doing a great job of convincing folk that this combination is a good idea…but it is! And it totally works as a waffle. I really, really enjoyed having this for my dinner. I loved the nuttiness of the waffle with the sour bites of pickle. And melted vegan cheese in the middle was just heaven.
Try it, honestly it’s great!
What weird food combos are you into?