Make a Traditional Local Dish
I’ve lived ‘Up North’ for a few years now but have never really indulged in any traditional dishes. The idea of chips and gravy sickens me and I still haven’t got round to having a Lancashire Hot Pot. There are quite a few dishes that I could experiment with; butter pie, parkin…tripe? None of these excited me, so I did a bit of research into Lancashire food and came across Fig Pie.
And that’s how I came up with these
- 1/2 cup soya butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup figs, chopped
- Grease and heat up the waffle iron.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with the vanilla
- Add the flour and ground almonds and mix together until you have a dough. You might need to use your hands.
- Add the chopped figs and squish into the mixture with your hands. Roll into 12 balls
- Waffle each one according to your machines instructions
These were really tasty, I had mine with a little syrup but they’d be great with ice cream, custard, cream or even on their own.