You probably don’t know this, but I bloody love pancakes. So obviously Shrove Tuesday…aka PANCAKE DAY is one of my favourite days of the year. Unfortunately I’m also pretty darn disorganised, so I don’t ever get a blog post together in time for the big day. Well, this year hasn’t been much different but I was determined to make it happen, so I made some savoury pancakes for lunch.
I used to be really anti savoury pancakes. ‘What’s the point?’ I thought..’why would you not put sugar all over a pancake?’. But then I realised that if I include savoury pancakes into the Pancake Day, I could have more pancakes…and that’s only ever a good thing right?
Mexican Tofu Scramble Pancakes
For the Pancakes:
- 3/4 cup gram flour
- 3/4 cup water
- generous pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
For the Tofu:
- 1 medium block of tofu
- tofu seasoning mix (more about this below)
- sprinkling of nutritional yeast
- 1 small onion
Toppings (you don’t need to use all, or mix and match what you want):
- 1 avocado
- vegan cheese
- chopped coriander
- hot sauce
- mayonnaise or sour cream
- fresh lime juice
- First off, prepare the tofu scramble. Heat some oil in a pan and cook off the onions for 5 minutes or so.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan and cook until browned and slightly crispy (about 10 minutes)
- Add the tofu seasoning and some nutritional yeast and stir through. Cook on a low heat while you prepare the pancakes
- Mix together the gram flour, water, salt and coriander. Heat a teeny bit of oil in a frying pan. When hot, pour half the pancake mixture into the pan and cook on a low heat for around 1-2 minutes, until it the top begins to bubble.
- Use a spatula to flip the pancake, sprinkle some grated cheese on top and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Pop the pancake onto a plate and top with the scramble, some chopped avocado, salsa and fresh coriander. Folk over and then top with more salsa and some mayo/sour cream and some hot sauce.
- Before devouring, squeeze half a lime over your masterpiece and enjoy.
This was so delicious and simple to make, I love it.
I used to put together my own spice blend for tofu scramble…until I came across Vitam-R’s Tofu Scramble Seasoning. Now I don’t use anything else, it’s ace. I’ve not come across it in the UK, only Germany unfortunately, so I stock up everytime I visit. Feel free to use your own blend for this.
So there you have it, a pancake recipe for pancake day! I will be making some classic crepes with lemon and sugar later but I likely won’t post it up for a few days. Keep your eyes peeled!
What pancakes will you be eating today? Let me know in the comments