A Vegan Experience of Surgery & Recovery: I had chest reconstruction surgery on August 22nd 2017. For Vegan Mofo 2017, I will be writing about my experience preparing for surgery and my ongoing recovery.
Is anyone else obsessed with watching short vegan food videos on Facebook? I spent so much time teasing myself watching these when I was laid up in bed, not able to move much. They were great for entertaining me post surgery because they’re short, have nice punchy music and gave me a bit of an appetite.
One of my favourite pages for these videos are Bosh, they do a lot fun recipes and they’ve given me a few ideas in the kitchen. A particular video that caught my eye was this one, for Pain Au Chococake
Looks good amirite?! What a frigging good idea to put Jus Rol Pain Au Chocolat in cake batter!
Of course when I was well enough to whip this up, I gave it a go. Now, I changed the batter recipe a bit because the amount of cocoa called for is A LOT and I don’t quite trust Bosh when it comes to cake because they insist on mixing cake batter in a food processor. NO. DO. NOT. DO. THIS. Number 1 rule of vegan baking, don’t overmix!
Anyway, rant over, here’s my version
Pain Au Chocolat Loaf
- 1 pack of Jus Rol Pain Au Chocolat
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa (I used 1/3 and it was too rich for me, I recommend 1/4)
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- Heat the oven to 180 C and line a loaf tin with parchment
- Pour the milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla into a jug and set aside
- Roll up the Pain Au Chocolat and line up in a row down the middle of the loaf tin
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, bicarb and salt until mixed
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just mixed
- Carefully pour the batter down each side of the pastries, tap on the counter to even out the mixture and then pop into the oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes
And that’s it! This was a really simple recipe to get together and it was absolutely delicious! I loved it! And because it has pastries in, it’s basically a breakfast food too! Yay, cake for breakfast!
I urge everyone to go out and try this, I had it all together and in the oven within 10 minutes