A Vegan Experience of Surgery & Recovery: I had chest reconstruction surgery on August 22nd 2017. For Vegan Mofo 2017, I will be writing about my experience preparing for surgery and my ongoing recovery.
Yesterday I mentioned that bread featured pretty heavily in my first week of recovery. It wasn’t just my first week, I’ve consistently relied on bread throughout recovery and made some pretty awesome sandwiches. I’ve had many compliments on the quality of my sandwiches, they don’t always look pretty but they always taste amazing.
I thought I would do a post about how I kept them exciting!
So many options here and I like to have a variety of bread products in because 1) yay carbs! and 2) different types of breads work for different fillings.
One of my favourites is just stuffing a nice fresh crusty baguette, but I also like to have wraps and pitta breads in, as they’re long life, can be frozen and are a good alternative when you have no fresh bread in. Sliced bread is also good, bread rolls, finger rolls, english muffins, bagels, waffles…. God the possibilities are endless.
The Main Filling
My rule is that ANYTHING can make a good sandwich filling. Got some leftover Mac n Cheese? Curry? Noodles? Get it in there! Don’t be afraid to experiment by adding unconventional fillings to your sandwich.
My favourite fillings are fake meats, especially breaded vegan chicken but smoked tofu is good, mashed cannelini beans with mayo, grated carrot, pickles and seasonings, falafels, onion bhaji’s, vegetable fingers are quick, easy and cheap.
If you’re wanting a good sandwich, don’t just fill it with sausages and leave it at that, get some extra fillings in there to compliment the flavour! Here’s a list of some of my favourite extra’s
- Hash Browns – particularly good for those fake meat wraps and sandwiches. Bulk it up with more carbs pls
- Tofu Scramble – perfect in breakfast style wraps
- Pickles! – Gherkins are my absolute fave, but I also love pickled red cabbage
- Salad – I very rarely say the word salad on this blog but the basic lettuce, red onion, grated carrot and tomatoes are real good in a sandwich
- Vegan Bacon – if this isn’t your main filling adding bacon is always a good idea
- Vegan Cheese – crumbled in raw or melted on top. Oh yes pls
- Hummus – Always needs a mention but hummus and bean dips are excellent additions to sandwiches. I love trying out all the varieties of hummus supermarkets have these days. Sweet chilli is my fave
- Salsa – I have never regretted this choice
- Avocado – If you don’t like avocado, I DON’T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT K?
- Caramelised onion – so sweet, so good
And finally, finish off your sandwich with style. Smother it in sauce! Here’s a few of my favourites
- Mayo! Not just plain either, garlic, satay, sweet chilli. Customise your mayo and thank me later
- Mustard – wholegrain and dijon are my absolute faves, but american mustard is perfect with sausages
- Chutneys/Relish – Add a bit of sweetness to your sandwich, I LIVE for chutney and relish, it makes everything so much better
- Siracha/Hot Sauce – if you like a bit of heat go for this already
- Ranch dressing – hnnnnggghhhh
- Cheeze sauce – Who cares if there’s so much sauce it falls apart in your hands? It’s all about taste!
So there you go, here are my hints and tips for creating frigging delicious sandwiches. What are your favourites?