A Vegan Experience of Surgery & Recovery: I had chest reconstruction surgery on August 22nd 2017. For Vegan Mofo 2017, I will be writing about my experience preparing for surgery and my ongoing recovery.
During one of my early days of recovery, I came across this recipe for a bread and butter pudding made with stale doughnuts. I thought it was so simple, beautiful and a genius idea. I was determined to recreate it when I felt up to cooking again.
Well that time came round when I had a fridge full of Jus Rol Cinnamon Roll and Croissant dough. I decided I’d combine the doughnut idea with other pastries, and while I was at it, why not add some exciting fillings to the croissants for an extra sweet touch?
So here you have it The Doughnut Pastry Pudding
Doughnut Pastry Pudding
- 4 leftover croissants filled with chocolate bars, chocolate spread, peanut butter etc etc
- 4 leftover cinnamon rolls
- 3 stale jam doughnuts
- 3 stale custard doughnuts
- 1 carton of oat cream
- 1 carton of oat custard
- 1 small bag of chocolate chips
- Heat the oven up to 180 C and get a large dish ready
- Chop the doughnuts into quarters and halve the cinnamon rolls and croissants
- Mix together in the baking dish
- Pour over the oat cream and the custard, stir so the pastries are all covered in the liquid. Leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- Scatter chocolate chips on top and bake for 25-30 minutes
This was BEAUTIFUL! I really liked the addition of pastries and also the addition of extra chocolate bars but you don’t need to add all these extras. Just add what you’ve got kicking about in the cupboards, stale bread and doughnuts would also work if you don’t want to go too overboard with the sweet. The good thing is that this tastes even better the next day!
The photos don’t really do it justice, but I’m telling you I will never just have a mere Bread Pudding again. NEVER!